S.E. Shires Bass Trombone Competition
Click HERE to register for the competition (you must also apply for the STS Participant Class to be eligible to compete in the competitions).
Hidas - "Rhapsody"
- Under 26 years of age on June 18, 2024
- Must be in the STS Participant Class
- The 2024 S.E. Shires Competition will separate tenor and bass competitors into their own categories. The basses will compete with solos only, and tenors with excerpts only. The repertoire will swap for the 2025 competition.
- Preliminary round submissions are to be submitted with your competition registration and must include audio and video.
- Repertoire for the preliminary round video should be recorded without piano accompaniment.
- Semifinal and final rounds will happen live at the 2024 STS. All competitors must submit an STS Participant application separate from the competition submission(s).
- Recordings must be unedited, but audio gain changes on entire recordings are permitted.
- Performers can skip over multi-measure rests at their discretion.
- Competitors must record the entire list in the order listed below, all in one take.
- All recordings must be submitted via a YouTube link. The YouTube video must be “Unlisted” and comments should be disabled.
- The link to your recording will be submitted along with the registration form and payment. See below for dates:
- Participants must pay one STS Competition Entry fee for each competition entered via credit card via the registration form.
- All entrants will receive feedback from the judges.
- Semifinal rounds will be unaccompanied. Pianist will be provided for finalists. No outside pianists will be allowed. Each finalist will be allotted two 25-minute rehearsals with the pianist.
- Winners will receive a TBGC George Curran Artist Model bass trombone.
Hidas - "Rhapsody"
- The STS will begin notifying participants who advance to the semi-final rounds beginning on March 15th.
- Final recording submission deadline to be considered for the competitions is March 15th.